Each method naturally has its own set of pros and cons, and the best consumption method for you will depend on your individual preferences and requirements. In this blog, we’ll discuss different CBD consumption methods to help you determine the best one for your needs.
1. Inhalation (Smoke/Vape)
Inhaling CBD is one of the quickest ways to enjoy its effects. When you inhale CBD, it goes straight to your lungs and into the bloodstream. There are two methods you can choose from: smoking and vaping.
Smoking CBD concentrate
You can smoke CBD concentrate using an oil rig that resembles a water pipe. This is done by heating the nail of the oil rig where CBD concentrate is placed. A simple alternative would be rolling a joint that contains high-CBD cannabis. However, if you choose to try CBD using the latter method, know that you’d end up consuming some THC as well.
Pros of smoking CBD
- It gives the highest concentration of CBD
- It’s the fastest delivery system
Cons of smoking CBD
- Smoking can be harsh on the lungs and throat
- High concentrations might not suit people who don’t need a high dose for their condition
- It requires additional tools (dabber, oil rig, joint paper)
Vaping CBD oil
Alternatively, you can also vape CBD oil using a vaporizer pen. If you are relatively new to vaping, you can get a vape starter kit from many renowned vaping companies. Vaping works as a great alternative to smoking if you need the same concentration of CBD and the maximum possible effect without the harsh feeling that comes with smoking.
- It delivers a high concentration of CBD and the maximum possible effects
- There is no harsh smoke that could harm your throat and lungs
- It’s easy to regulate your dosage
- You’re prone to vaping a higher concentration than you need
- It requires additional tools (vape pen and accessories)
2. Topical Application (Creams/Balms)
If inhalation is not for you, you can make use of topical CBD products. Topical application basically means using CBD balms, ointments, or creams on your skin. This method works best for sore muscles, skin conditions, and even migraines. Simply apply the balm at any sore area like the neck, feet, or back. If you have a migraine, you can massage it on your temples.
Pros of topical applications
- Topicals are super easy to use
- No accessories or extra tools are needed
- It works great for sore muscles and skin problems like acne and inflammation
Cons of topical applications
- You need to apply a lot if you need a higher dose
- The effects are not as long-lasting as other methods
3. Ingestion (Edibles)
Edibles are one of the most rapidly growing ways of consuming CBD in terms of popularity. You can simply add CBD oil to your food if you don’t like how it tastes on its own. CBD edibles in the form of CBD gummies or lollipops are also great options. They’re not only tasty, but they’re also the most discreet way of taking CBD especially if you need to take a dose while you’re at work.
One important thing to always remember is to know how much you’re having. The effects of edibles can take a few hours to kick in. That said, be sure not to eat way too many pieces thinking nothing is happening. Eat a set quantity and then wait for about an hour or two to see how you feel before you have more.
Pros of edibles
- It is very discreet
- You have endless options because you can mix edible oils with food and drinks
Cons of edibles
- It could take a few hours for the effects to kick in
- Understanding and figuring out the right dose can be tricky
You can purchase CBD tinctures if you want to take CBD sublingually. To use it sublingually, all you need to do is place a few drops of the tincture under your tongue and hold it in your mouth for 30 seconds before swallowing. This is also a very discreet method and it will help you feel calm and relaxed.
Pros of sublingual consumption
- It’s easy to do and doesn’t need any additional equipment
- Dosage control is easy to manage
- It produces long-lasting effects
Cons of sublingual consumption
- Results may vary from individual to individual
- Some people might not be able to tolerate CBD’s earthy taste
If you want to try CBD for chronic pain, insomnia, anxiety, or any other health concern, know that there are various ways to take CBD and enjoy its effects. Whether you’re into vaping, topical application, edibles, or sublingual administration, doing prior research and being smart about your CBD intake will help ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience.